Things are going well.
For a small prototype, everything is working as it should. I have a 2×2 array of LEDs (4 LEDs total).
I’ve managed to work the sampling time down into the sub-visible range, so you don’t notice any flicker at all from the leds.
I got my visual basic program working well, providing a real time graph of what the sensors are reading.
Right now I’m trying to figure out the best way to scale up this project, into at least a 8×8 array.
Anyway, here’s some pictures:
There are my four led sensors … the light from the additional leds has really improved the dynamic response of the sensors, they can actually see my fingertips now, before my fingers would barely register.
This is a quick program (hah, quick = 6+ hours) I wrote in visual basic. It receives serial data from the microcontroller that manages the sensor array, and displays it on the line graph. You can see the variations in the sensors caused by me running my finger around the array.