The camera I added recently gained a new boom mounted partner, a Luxeon Rebel powered spot-light. Consisting of three 200+ lumen neutral-white Rebels, the spotlight puts a lot of light onto a spot on the workbench. I’m going to pick up a diffuser optic for the collimator so it’s not quite such a tight spot. I used a paint striping gun to reflow these little guys; surprisingly my solder paste from 2007 still works!
Driving the Rebels is a 1a Buck Puck from LEDdymanics. It regulates a surplus unreglated 12v wall wart down to a safe current for the LEDs. I’ve added a potentiometer to the driver’s dimming input, giving me a little control over the amount of blinding from the light. The little circuit board uses a 5 position Molex connector to provide power to the LEDs and a cooling fan. I recycled a smallish northbridge heatsink fan to keep the leds happy.
I’ve rigged up a temporary mounting solution using a T and two more elbows.
Seeing a few other Makers add simple camera & boom systems to their workbenches, I was inspired to do the same. I tried to keep the construction as simple as possible.
My boom track consists of two 3/4 inch floor flanges, two 3/4 inch 90° elbows, NPT on one end, slip fitting on the other and a five foot length of 3/4 inch schedule 40 pvc. The boom arm consists of a 1″ x 1″ x 1/2″ T fitting, cut in half, several random lengths of 1/2″ schedule 40 pipe, two 90° elbows and a end cap drilled and fitted with a 1/4-20 bolt, nut and wing-nut.
Nothing is glued, so far friction holds it all together. I figure I can add set-screws if the elbows start to slip too much.
The camera is a Microsoft Lifecam Studio, which is a 1080p sensor with a fixed aperture auto focus lens. It’s a cell phone camera basically, when you get it to focus, it does a decent job. I’ve only recorded in 720p, I haven’t found the option to record video in 1080p, maybe my PC isn’t fast enough.